|First||Previous (REFUGEE ACT, 1996)||Next (SECOND SCHEDULE Refugee Appeal Board)|
REFUGEE ACT, 1996
Refugee Applications Commissioner
1. The Commissioner shall have had not less than 7 years' experience as a practising barrister or practising solicitor before his or her appointment.
2. The Commissioner shall be appointed from time to time as occasion requires by the Minister and, subject to the provisions of this Schedule, shall hold office upon such terms and conditions as the Minister may determine.
3. The term of office of the Commissioner shall be 3 years and, subject to the provisions of this Schedule, the Commissioner shall be eligible for re-appointment.
4. The Commissioner shall be paid such remuneration (if any) and such allowances for expenses as the Minister, with the consent of the Minister for Finance, may from time to time determine.
5. The Commissioner may at any time resign his or her office by letter addressed to the Minister and the resignation shall take effect on and from the date of receipt of the letter.
6. The Minister may appoint such and so many persons to be members of the staff of the Commissioner as he or she considers necessary to assist the Commissioner in the performance of his or her functions and such members of the staff of the Commissioner shall hold their offices or employment on such terms and conditions and receive such remuneration as the Minister may, with the consent of the Minister for Finance, determine.
7. Members of the staff of the Commissioner shall be civil servants within the meaning of the Civil Service Regulation Act, 1956 .
8. The Commissioner may be removed from office by the Minister for stated reasons.