First Previous (PART II Financial Provisions) Next (Chapter III Housing Loans and Grants, etc.)

21 1966


Chapter II

Assistance of Certain Research, Training and Bodies

Assistance by Minister of certain research and training.

11. —(1) The Minister may, with the consent of the Minister for Finance, make out of moneys provided by the Oireachtas, a grant or a loan on such terms and conditions as may be determined by the Minister, to any of the following:

(a) a body which, in relation to housing, conducts research or provides training,

(b) a person engaged, at the request of or with the concurrence of the Minister, in research in relation to housing.

(2) Where the Minister proposes to make a grant or loan under this section in relation to a matter as respects which the Institute for Industrial Research and Standards may carry out research under the Industrial Research and Standards Act, 1961 , the Minister shall make the grant or loan only after consultation with the Minister for Industry and Commerce.

Assistance by housing authority of certain bodies.

12. —(1) A housing authority may, with the consent of the Minister and on such terms and conditions as they think fit, assist another housing authority or a body to which this section applies, either in respect of the provision by the other authority or by the body of housing accommodation or in respect of some other matter, in one or more of the following ways:

(a) by a loan,

(b) by a periodic contribution to the funds of the other authority or the body,

(c) by a guarantee of sums owed by the other authority or by the body in respect of borrowings.

(2) This section applies to the following bodies:

(a) a body whose objects include at least one of the following;

(i) the provision of dwellings for elderly persons,

(ii) the provision of dwellings which will help to secure one or more of the primary objectives to which a housing authority are required by subsection (3) of section 60 of this Act to have regard,

(iii) the advance of money for the provision (including reconstruction or purchase) of dwellings,

(iv) the conduct in relation to housing of research or the provision of training,

(b) any other body approved by the Minister for the purposes of this section.

(3) A guarantee under this section may be given by the housing authority either alone or jointly with any other person or persons.

(4) A decision to make a periodic contribution or to give a loan or guarantee under this section shall be a reserved function.